I wanted to title this -How to Choose the Perfect Wine… to relax with at the end of the day when the kids are going ballistic and you just need a break and have 5 minutes to use the bathroom without 3 kids and a husband asking where you went the entire time and when dinner will be ready.
But that seemed a bit wordy.
In the spring I shared with you 8 wines I love in the post, A Wine for Every Occasion. I got asked how I chose those wines and what makes me grab one bottle over another in the seas of wines available.
My answer is simple. It’s a 3 part process.
- Find bottle with pretty labels or a fun name.
- Check the price. Under $20 and I’m good.
- Buy it and bottoms up.
I have a lot of trial and error, finding out which types I like (Cabernet, Chardonnay, Merlot) and which types I don’t care for (Pinot Noir, Rose, Gewürztraminer). If I find a wine I love, I will share it with friends and pray they don’t spit it out and think I have no taste buds.
Now I’ve found this awesome site Likelii.com which can help me choose my next wine without standing at the liquor store for an hour staring blankly at the vast aisles of wines to choose from. I just hop on their site, tell them what I like already (red vs. white, cab, merlot, etc) and then they knock out recommendations and even give it a likelii level, how likely I am to enjoy that wine.
I played around with it and every time they suggest I try a wine I already know and love, as well as 8 others. How did it know I liked Jacobs Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon? I put in that I liked red wine, prefer cabernet and like to try wines from Australia and California. It recommended Jacob Creek as well as Layer Cake Cabernet and suggested I try Firestone Chardonnay. You can then save those wines in your “wines to try” list and purchase them right there! Another reason to like them? It was founded by women. Women who love wine. I think I want to be their best friend.
Naturally I said, “Wait! Hold up. I want some free wine yo!” They replied with a giveaway they are hosting! I can win one of 3 $100 gift certificates to buy the wines of my choice. I have to admit… I hesitated sharing it with you, as I want to have way better chances to win, but you guys, my readers, are always so nice and I guess it’s the season to be thankful and giving and what not… So here is how you can enter.
- Try the recommendation engine by entering one or two wines on the homepage that you have liked in the past
- Get Recommendations and see how we did!
- Fill out a brief survey on your experience by clicking on the Feedback page (see the tab on the left)
- That’s it, you are entered to win one of 3 $100 gift certificates in free wine from Likelii.com
If you are starting from scratch and aren’t sure what types of wine you enjoy you can always start off with some of the wines in my “faves” list…
- Infinite Monkey Theorem Malbec
- Charles Krug Chardonnay
- Little Penguin Cab/Merlot Blend
- Boom Boom Syrah
If you found a wine you love, or try Likelii.com and they suggested one you think I will love… share it with me below in the comments! I’m always looking for new wines to try.
disclosure: This is part of a sponsored campaign. I received a gift card for wine (WOOT WOOT) in return for my honest opinions about the likelii.com site and wines in general. Finally, this bloggy stuff is paying off! Bottoms up!
Latest posts by Emily (see all)
- Autism and Wandering – Six Tips to Help Prevent the Unthinkable - April 22, 2014
- March of Dimes March for Babies Colorado Walk Saturday, April 26 - April 21, 2014
- Kid Friendly Gluten-Free Ham and Apple Sandwich #DeliFreshBOLD - April 19, 2014