I love getting all crafty. Recently, I was going through a tub in my basement marked “#CraftyCrap” (natch) and found this mini photo album I made waaaaaay back when I used to be a Close to my Heart consultant. I love it because it is from when Carter (now 11 years old) was first born. Made from just 1 12×12 piece of cardstock and scraps of paper, it’s easy and fun to make! I’ll show you how.
First up, you need to gather your supplies. For this project you will need:
- 1 12×12 piece of cardstock (I used white but you can use whatever color you prefer)
- 16 2.75×2.75 pieces of scrap paper in a variety of colors and patterns
- 2 3.25×3.25 pieces of scrap heavy cardstock for the cover and back
- 1 1.5×3.25 piece of thin scrap paper
- glue or double sided tape/adhesive
- paper cutter or scissors if you have a steady hand
There. Now that you’ve rounded everything up, let’s get crafty up in here! 😉 I’ll show you the steps in the photos, then explain it below.
1. First you will need to divide your 12×12 paper into a 3×3 grid using a ruler and being as exact as you can be. Next, cut along 3 of the lines as shown. You will want to make a giant letter W. Don’t cut all the way through, just go along the first line, 3 squares and stop. Next row, start at the opposite end and cut 3 squares and stop, then go to the next row, at the opposite end, cut 3 squares worth on the line and stop. It’s much harder to explain than it is to do. Hopefully you figures this one out.
2. Next we fold. Again, this is going to be hard for me to type out, but hopefully the pictures help. You fold like an accordion until you get to the uncut portion, then fold down, away from you (so the pencil grid line is on top) along the uncut line. Fold like an accordion back towards the other uncut line, then fold back again and keep going until you have one stack of 3×3 folds.
3. Check the pictures so your fold are similar to what is shown.
4. Now you should have your 3×3 stack.
5. Next, open the book carefully, so it sits like an arch. See where some pages are open? Glue those down. The Firs page will be gluing behind, next should be gluing the opening at the top, next behind, next, the open that points down, so on and so forth. Have I thoroughly confused you yet?
6. You should end up with a book that you can turn the pages and everything stays put.
7. Now you get your scraps and cut them into 2 3.25 x 3.25 inch squares of heavy cardstock (for the cover and back).
8. You will also need the 16 2.75 x 2.75 inch pieces and the spine, which is 1.5 x 3.25 inches.
9. Get to gluing! The covers are glued on the “wrong side” of the first and last piece of the white cardstock book. The spine is then glue to cover but make sure you have it open when you are positioning and gluing so you have enough give to the paper to open and close the book.
10. Voila! You have a book, yo!
11. Now to embellish the book to your liking. You can see my finished book in the first images.
Phew! That was hard work. Well, it’s much easier to make the book than it is to tell you how to make it. 😉 If you get stuck, leave a comment below and I’ll try to help you figure it out!