So You Think You Can Blog
I get asked a fair amount how to blog, how to start one, how to promote it, how to get sponsored gigs and advertisers, etc. etc. I thought instead of retyping this info in a million emails (or more likely saying “um, don’t have time to tell you in a short email while picking up kids at school”) I thought I’d create a new section here. You can click on the tab above with SYTYCB and, over the course of the next few months, learn how to start your own blog!
– First things first. WHY do you want to start a blog? Are you bored? Do you want to start a business? Do you want to share photos or recipes? Do you want to meet other people with an obsession with wine, sparkles, handbags, what-have-you? Decide your focus before you begin. You can always change it later if you start and it’s not clicking well.
– Next up… READ BLOGS! I’ve had a few people over the past couple of years say “I want to start a blog” I reply with “what do you want to blog about” and they respond “I don’t know, what do most blogs talk about?” Read up on some of your favorite topics or search for something and if you can’t find it, maybe you can create the perfect blog for a niche that needs you!
– My last tip for this first post is research, research, research! The following are blogs or books that I continually go to for new information, to refresh my memory about something I said I wanted to do and just for inspiration on what the heck to blog about!
Blogging Basics 101 by Melanie Nelson (website)
Mom Blog SEO by Kelby Carr (ebook)
Mom Blogging for Dummies by Wendy Piersall (book)
Digital Mom Handbook by Audrey McClelland and Colleen Padilla (book)
MamaDweeb.com by Annie (website)
There are many many more that I will be covering, linking you all to and raving about, so stay tuned!
Latest posts by Emily (see all)
- 3 Reasons Hemp is the Fabric of the Future with prAna (& a discount!) - November 30, 2016
- 5 Reasons to Shop Colorado Mills This Holiday Season… and a $500 giveaway! - November 28, 2016
- Tools for Parents to Talk to Kids About the Dangers of Underage Marijuana Use - November 18, 2016