This recipe is an old favorite, and has made the rounds on Pinterest and in magazines for years. It’s the perfect go-to recipe to keep in your back pocket, because it uses just a few pantry staples and fresh chicken breasts. The chicken bakes quickly at a high temp, so it remains juicy inside while the breading stays crunchy. Kids LOVE it, and it’s so much easier than fried chicken.
I’ve lightened up the “official” recipe a bit with some non-fat Greek yogurt and egg-free Just Mayo, and you can’t tell a difference! You can actually use all mayo, or all yogurt, depending on what you’ve got on hand, but I find that a half and half mix gives the best flavor. It’s so simple that I often let my kids take the reigns and make it by themselves. All you need is a steamed veggie or a salad for a delicious, thrifty meal!
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- cooking oil spray
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- ¼ c nonfat plain yogurt
- ¼ c grated Parmesan or other sharply flavored cheese
- ⅓ c dry breadcrumbs or Ritz cracker crumbs
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray 9x13 baking dish to coat, and arrange chicken in pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine mayo, yogurt, and cheese. Spread on top of chicken to coat. Combine bread/cracker crumbs with seasoning, and top each chicken breast generously with crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 min or until meat registers 165 degrees.