Join the fun at the 7th annual Georgetown Bighorn Sheep Festival Nov. 10th
I’m always looking for fun FREE things to do with the boys and any time we can head to the mountains is a win for us all. Here is a fun event in Georgetown! The Bighorn Sheep Festival! Bring the whole family up for this wooly good time!
GEORGETOWN, Colo. – Where can you find a fall family outing that gets you outside enjoying the splendor of Colorado wildlife within the charm of a historic mountain town? The 7th annual Georgetown Bighorn Sheep Festival is a kid-friendly, educational, and economical way to make some memories with your loved ones. Timed to coincide with the sheep’s head-banging mating season, this year’s event will take place Nov. 10.
Visitors can locate sheep with the help of trained Colorado Parks and Wildlife volunteers, armed with spotting scopes and binoculars. Enjoy a cup of hot cider or cocoa and a brief lesson on these majestic mammals at the Bighorn Sheep Viewing Station, next to picturesque Georgetown Lake. A shuttle will help transport visitors from bighorn sheep viewing areas to downtown Georgetown for educational presentation and activities. Friends and families will enjoy the FREE educational programming and numerous activities provided throughout the day.
“Georgetown is one of the few places in Colorado you are almost guaranteed to see bighorn sheep, particularly during breeding season in November and December,” says Mary McCormac, Education Coordinator for the northeast region at CPW. While weather forecasts could discourage potential festival participation, McCormac cautions, “Weather in Georgetown can be beautiful when Denver forecasters predict snow. We strongly encourage folks to call Georgetown directly before heading out if they are concerned about weather conditions.” Please call the Georgetown Gateway Visitor Center for current weather conditions: 303-569-2405.
– Kids make sheep horns of their own to take home and get face painted like a sheep – showcase all in the noon parade
– Learn about bighorn behavior while dancing the bighorn sheep hokey pokey with Elbert the Bighorn, CPW wildlife mascot
– Sit by the fire with a cup of cocoa, listen to live music, and visit partner organizations and Georgetown merchant booths in the park
– Try Tommyknocker’s own bighorn sheep brew, Butt Head Bock Lager at Lucha’s or sample a specialty brew of Golden Ram coffee at Bierstadt Books & Beans
– Enjoy local merchant discounts on food and drink and purchase a commemorative festival pint glass at participating merchants
– Enjoy mountain views and learn about Georgetown’s history and bighorn sheep on a Georgetown Loop Railroad tour
– Go on a two-hour guided hike around Georgetown
– 11:00 a.m.: Bighorn Sheep of Georgetown
– 1:00 p.m.: Rocky Mountain Alpine: Life Above the Trees
– 2:00 p.m.:Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goats
Festival Activities Guide:
See the final schedule of events at http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Viewing/GeorgetownBighornSheepFestival.pdf
OR pick up a schedule on-site at the Gateway Visitor Center or the Georgetown Community Center. All of these events are free.
Georgetown is located just less than an hour west of Denver on I-70. Programs and activities take place in several venues throughout town, but most are on 6th Street. Be sure to plan time to visit the numerous art galleries and unique shops where artisans and shop owners will showcase their wildlife-related art, gifts, crafts and other merchandise
WHAT: Georgetown Bighorn Sheep Festival: A Saturday of family-friendly, wildlife fun.
WHERE: Town of Georgetown: One hour west of Denver on I-70.
WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 10, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
disclaimer: this is not a sponsored post. Just a great event to share with you guys courtesy of the Colorado Parks & Wildlife.
For more news about Colorado Parks and Wildlife go to: http://cpw.state.co.us/NewsMedia/PressReleases
Latest posts by Emily (see all)
- 3 Reasons Hemp is the Fabric of the Future with prAna (& a discount!) - November 30, 2016
- 5 Reasons to Shop Colorado Mills This Holiday Season… and a $500 giveaway! - November 28, 2016
- Tools for Parents to Talk to Kids About the Dangers of Underage Marijuana Use - November 18, 2016