- You wear jeans to church,
- You think the major food groups are granola bars, tofu and Fat Tire Beer.
- You design your kid’s Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
- April showers bring May blizzards.
- You know where the real ‘South Park’ is.
- You’ve gone skiing in July. You’ve gone sunbathing in January. They were both in the same year.
These are just a few quirky Colorado nuances. Our forum members took this theme and ran with it. Here are some more they came up with. (To read the entire thread, click here and add your own in our comments!)
- Wearing shorts and a heavy sweater in the winter.
- Running the furnace and the a/c on the same day.
- You only go to Casa Bonita when you have out of town visitors.
- You give driving directions in north, south, east or west, instead of right or left.
- Your summer bbq gets rained out, but its 75 degrees on Christmas day.
- Your social class hinges on the size of your North Face and /or Patagonia wardrobe.
- You’re one of only a few drivers on the road who go faster than 20 mph on the interstate when its barely snowing.
- Humid is any reading over 25%
- You say you have to go “down the hill” or “up the hill” and everyone knows what you mean.
- You buy your flowers on Mother’s day but hold off planting them until just before Father’s day.
- You always know the elevation of where you are.
- You wake up to a sunny, 80 degree day and wonder if it’s going to snow tomorrow
- You complain of being hot when there is still 6 inches of snow on the grass from the blizzard that hit four days ago.
- You get upset when the snow from a storm isn’t melted by the next day.
- You get to laugh at your North facing neighbors shoveling because the South facing neighbors don’t own shovels.
- When wearing socks with sandals and snowboots with shorts are acceptable fashions.
- When it’s normal to see 5 different kinds of wildlife on your way home.
- When it’s pouring rain or snowing and the sun is shining.
Owner/Editor-in-Chief at ColoradoMoms.com
Emily is a mom to three very active boys. Her youngest is autistic so she is passionate about advocating for children and families on the spectrum. She attends more concerts than is humanly possible and takes some pretty amazingly blurry photos of said shows to prove she was there. Also, #hashtags are her favorite. #totes #noreally