Frugal & Fruity ~ Freeze Ahead Smoothies
My kids and I love smoothies. I do have to admit, it’s quite the process to get them all together for just a quick smoothie for breakfast or as a treat after dinner. I was buying some pre-made smoothies but the cost was killing my pocketbook. At roughly $3 per smoothie, they were fast becoming an expensive treat.
I found a great tip on Pinterest about freezing yogurt into ice cube trays for toddler portions. Genius! Then my mind started working… All that’s in the pricey smoothie bag is frozen yogurt and fruit. Hmmmm… Then, this morning as I was starving and trying to come up with a way to pack in a ton of fruit while still minding my Weight Watchers PointsPlus® points, this recipe was born.
I froze a bunch of fat free vanilla yogurt in ice cube trays overnight. I learned from back in my baby food making days, that one “cube” is 1 oz. I then took all of the fruit, bananas, strawberries, blueberrie, raspberries and blackberries and washed/peeled/cut/whathave you.
I took 3 yogurt cubes, half a banana, 5 strawberries and a handful of each of the other berries and put them in ziploc baggies.
Each baggie is now 2 8oz. smoothies, all you have to do is add 1 cup of milk. If you use 1% milk, that’s 4 points per 8oz serving (if you are on Weight Watchers). 🙂 So delicious, healthy and EASY!
Depending on the season, I’d love to mix up the fruit combos, adding mango in there for sure! What other fruit combos would you use in the smoothies?
- 1 cup skim or 1% milk
- 3 cubes frozen fat free vanilla yogurt
- ½ banana, sliced
- 5 large strawberries, hulled and quartered
- small handfull of the following: blueberries, raspberries & blackberries
- Add ingredients to blender, blend and serve.
Latest posts by Emily (see all)
- 3 Reasons Hemp is the Fabric of the Future with prAna (& a discount!) - November 30, 2016
- 5 Reasons to Shop Colorado Mills This Holiday Season… and a $500 giveaway! - November 28, 2016
- Tools for Parents to Talk to Kids About the Dangers of Underage Marijuana Use - November 18, 2016