With summer just around the corner, my mind is turning to cookouts, pool parties, and the patriotic holidays that surround them. I’m always on the lookout for easy treats to bring along to get-togethers and these Patriotic Funfetti Cake Batter Truffles are fun, festive, and delicious for any Memorial Day or 4th of July festivities!
1 (15.25 oz) Pillsbury blue raspberry cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 cup vanilla frosting (homemade or store bought)
1/2 cup patriotic jimmies sprinkles, divided
1/2 cup Wilton white candy melts
3/4 cup Wilton red candy melts
1/2 cup Wilton blue candy melts
1/2 cup Wilton royal blue candy melts
Patriotic nonpareils sprinkles
Patriotic stars sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 baking pan and set aside.
2. Add the cake mix, eggs, oil and water to a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Pour into your prepared baking pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4. Allow the cake to completely cool for 45 minutes.
5. Once cooled, break the cake up into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of vanilla frosting and 1/3 cup red, white and blue jimmies sprinkles. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes for easier handling.
6. Line a large cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
7. Roll the chilled cake mixture into 1 inch balls and place on the lined cookie sheet.
8. In a microwave safe bowl (or a Wilton candy warmer), microwave the bright white candy melts for 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth. Dip 6 cake balls into the melted white chocolate and place on the lined cookie sheet to harden.
9. Add the red candy melts to a microwave safe bowl (or candy warmer). Microwave for 60 seconds. Stir until completely melted and smooth.
10. Drizzle the melted red chocolate on top of the white coated truffles.
11. Immediately sprinkle the white coated truffles with the remaining red, white and blue jimmies sprinkles.
12. Dip 6 cake balls into the remaining melted red chocolate and place on the lined cookie sheet. Immediately sprinkle with the patriotic star sprinkles.
13. Add the blue candy melts to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Dip 6 cake balls into the melted blue chocolate and place on the lined cookie sheet. Immediately sprinkle with the remaining patriotic jimmies and nonpareils sprinkles before the chocolate hardens.
14. Melt the royal blue candy melts in a microwave safe bowl for 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth. Dip the remaining cake balls into the melted royal blue chocolate. Place on the lined cookie sheet and immediately sprinkle with patriotic nonpareils sprinkles.