My husband is obsessed with the Food Network. I like a lot of their recipes, but find I am modifying them more and more to fit my needs. Either I want something a bit healthier, a bit more kid friendly or quicker. This time I was able to pack all 3 in!
The original recipe I used as my “guide” is here – Food Network Skillet Lasagna. I didn’t have zucchini on hand, didn’t think carrots belonged in the dish and wasn’t about to make my own sauce as I was pressed for time. I also added ground beef to the recipe and Viola! My kids actually ate it! All! And… asked for seconds. This one is going into the “make all the time” category in our house. Below is my version of the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce (I am loving Newman's Own Organic Basil Pasta Sauce right now.)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves (I tore these by hand as I love the smell of fresh basil!)
- 6 no-bake Lasagna noodles (I prefer Barilla brand)
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 - 1.5 cups shredded mozzerella (with a small amount reserved)
- a couple more basil leaves for garnish
- Brown the ground beef in a small skillet, drain and set aside. Meanwhile, mix the ricotta, egg, parmesan and fresh basil in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat and add garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Add 1/8-1/4 cup of the pasta sauce and reserve 1/4 cup of sauce to use later.
- Lay 2 of the no-bake noodles on top. Cover with 1/2 the fresh spinach, then 1/2 of the meat, 1/2 of the ricotta mix, 1/2 the remaining sauce and 1/2 of your mozzarella. Repeat that layer and end with the last 2 no bake noodles. Spread the last of your sauce you reserved, on top and top with a little more Mozzarella.
- Cover and simmer over medium/low heat for 25 minutes (or until the noodles are soft). Garnish with a few more basil leaves and enjoy!
Latest posts by Emily (see all)
- Macy’s Culinary Council Comes to Denver with Johnny Iuzinni - April 21, 2016
- Disneybounding for Walt Disney World - April 18, 2016
- How Housework Can Keep My Kids Healthy - April 15, 2016