Positive reinforcement is something I need to work on with my kids. I seem to always be telling them what NOT to do and not always rewarding them when they do things right. Enter Marble Jar, a kids reward app available in the Apple App Store. I recently downloaded this and set up a few jars. The concept is easy. Make a jar to highlight an area you would like either the kids, or yourself, to work on. Set the tasks and how many marbles needed to earn a reward. Easy Peasy. Once the jar is full, it turns to gold so you know the task is complete.
The three jars I set up were for each of my three boys. Brady needs to work on going to school without crying. Carter needs to get a bit better with his bedtime routine and Thomas could really use some help making sure his homework is done with the least push back possible.
Now lets take a look at Thomas’ jar…
As you can see, he’s well on his way to earning a movie on Friday. He’s generally pretty good about doing his homework but occasionally complains or has a late assignment. He can put a marble in the jar every time he comes home, does his work and knows his memory for the day.
This app is such a great idea. I think I am going to make another jar for me, so I can work on staying on task for my work and maybe try to harp at the kids a bit less. I’m afraid of making a swear jar because that sucker would be full after one night. Maybe I should make a “I only said 5 swear words today” jar. My husband could use a jar for “Not yelling at the wife about how much she shops”.
Some other types of jars you could make are:
- Jars that help you notice what’s working well in your family.
- Jars that help you build cooperation and teamwork in your family.
- Jars that help your child develop strong, useful habits.
- Jars that help your child manage the daily tasks in his or her life.
- Jars that help kids earn privileges by demonstrating consistent responsibility.
Latest posts by Emily (see all)
- DIY Wine Cork Monogram Tutorial with Snoqualmie Wines - April 7, 2015
- Opening Day Fashion with Fanatics.com - April 3, 2015
- 2015 Concert Bucket List - April 1, 2015