Rather than a yummy recipe to eat this week, here’s an easy DIY body treatment that feel so luxurious and soothing on dry, sunburned skin.
Coconut oil is one of my favorite all-around body care products. It soothes sunburns, it works great as an eye makeup remover, and it protects delicate skin during shaving. But it’s not practical to keep my big Costco jar in the bathroom. I had read about whipping the coconut oil to make it a little lighter and easy to apply so I thought I’d give that a try, but I also wanted to add some skin-friendly botanicals.
Green tea is known to soothe skin irritations, reduce redness, and it contains good-for-you antioxidants that may protect against sun damage. Perfect for adding to a summer skin treatment!
What you need:
- 1 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1 bag of your favorite tea-green, black, or herbal or 2 tsp loose tea
- small (“Little Dipper” type) crock pot or double boiler
- electric mixer
- Place coconut oil in crock pot and turn to “Low” (or bring double boiler to a low simmer)
- Open tea bag and add loose tea to crock pot
- Allow oil to melt and tea to infuse over low heat for an hour
- Strain oil through a mesh strainer lined with a paper towel or coffee filter to remove tea
- Allow to cool until solid (place in fridge for a couple hours to hasten this process)
- Once oil is solid but not rock-hard, place in electric mixer bowl and whip on high speed until fluffy.
- Place in a small airtight jar and store in a cool place. Use all over for sunburns, removing makeup, and soothing dry skin.